Sunday, October 7, 2007

Laura's Challenge Wrap-up

The New York Times Notable Books Challenge was one of the first I joined this year, egged on by challenge host Wendy (aka Caribousmom). I was a little embarrassed that I'd heard of so few of these notable books, and set about to correct that by reading a dozen of them. The books I read for this challenge were:
  1. Black Swan Green, by David Mitchell (read in 2006)
  2. The Inheritance of Loss, by Kiran Desai
  3. Suite Francaise, by Irene Nemirovsky
  4. Half of a Yellow Sun, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (completed 3/26/07)
  5. Old Filth, by Jane Gardam (completed 3/31/07)
  6. Beasts of No Nation, by Uzodinma Iweala (completed 4/13/07)
  7. One Good Turn, by Kate Atkinson (completed 5/25/07)
  8. The Translator, by Leila Aboulela (completed 5/28/07)
  9. Alentejo Blue, by Monica Ali (completed 6/17/07)
  10. Gate of the Sun, by Elias Khoury (completed 7/25/07)
  11. Arthur & George, by Julian Barnes (completed 8/26/07)
  12. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy (completed 9/2/07)
  13. A Woman in Jerusalem, by A.B. Yehoshua (completed 10/7/07)

Favorite Book of the Challenge: This is a real toss-up. I enjoyed Suite Francaise, Half of a Yellow Sun, and The Road the most.

Least Favorite Book: One Good Turn. This crime mystery was a pretty light read compared to the others on this list.

What I learned through this challenge: Every one of these authors was also new to me, and many of them are from outside the United States. This challenge really opened my eyes to the wealth of great literature in the world, and has inspired me to continue seek out authors from around the world.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge, Laura! You are an inspiration to me - I have 9 more to go to hit my goal of 20 *gasps*

Anonymous said...

I liked The Road too and have heard such good reports about Suite Francais - sounds like an excellent list.

1morechapter said...

Great job on completing 12 books! I have 8 down and 2 to go.