Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Arthur and George - Wendy's Book Review


Julian Barnes has crafted an imaginative, compellingly readable 'whodunnit' that keeps the reader compulsively turning the pages.

Based on the life and work of Sir Arthur Conan Boyle, it is a tale of two men - George and Arthur - who seem to be living worlds apart, but whose paths cross when a mystery surfaces. The novel explores larger themes of racism and morality, but is driven by excellent story telling and Barnes' gift of creating character.


I read this for a book club read as well as a 2006 New York Times Notable. I am happy I picked it up. If you enjoy evocative novels which spin a good yarn, you will love this book.


Rated a 4/5. Recommended.

You can read my original review of this book on my blog.

3 comments:

kookie said...

Well, all right! This seems like something I might want to read. Thanks for the review.

Wendy said...

You are quite welcome ;)

Nabeel said...

Thanks for the review .. sounds very interesting .. I will see if it's available in my library.