Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A very belated update from Ariel, a.ka. Pour of Tor or Sycorax Pine

Hallo all!

I am afraid that I have fallen desperately behind in our mutual project during my recent (couple of months of) travel and conferences, but I am eager to hop back in the saddle and get some of these books read so that I can join in the conversation again. I have been trying to keep from reading your reviews until I have read the books myself, but I often yield to temptation and find myself adding books to my to be read list. Which makes it all that much more dispiriting that I have been so belated in accomplishing my original goals.

At the moment, I am halfway through a number of books from our list, either because I wasn’t finished with them when I had to leave town on a trip, or because they are in such high demand at my library that I had to return them before I had made it to the end. Here are the ones I have started, but not yet completed:

1) “Twilight of the Superheroes” by Deborah Eisenberg
2) “Beasts of No Nation” by Uzodimnma Iweala [there is no excuse here – I own the novel, and it is not a long one]
3) “The Inheritance of Loss” by Kiran Desai
4) “Special Topics in Calamity Physics” by Marisha Pessl

My goal for the end of May is to finish “Twilight of the Superheroes” and “Beasts of No Nation.” June’s goal will be “The Inheritance of Loss” and “Special Topics.”

1 comment:

kookie said...

We are just glad to have you back, Ariel.