Friday, March 2, 2007

Alisia's NYT Notable List

I've joined another challenge! Aaahhh. But I couldn't resist. There are some books on the list I have wanted to read this year, and some that are new to me. I am really looking forward to some good discussions. :)

So that I don't have challenge burn-out, I am not setting myself to any number of books, but here is my list of those that interest me. Well, actually most books on the list interest me, but I have culled it just a bit. Those in bold are books that I definitely plan to read this year (depending largely on library availability).

ABSURDISTAN. By Gary Shteyngart
ALENTEJO BLUE. By Monica Ali
BEASTS OF NO NATION. By Uzodinma Iweala
DIGGING TO AMERICA. By Anne Tyler (finished 4/9/07)
EVERYMAN. By Philip Roth
GATE OF THE SUN. By Elias Khoury
HALF OF A YELLOW SUN. By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Finished 2/27/07)
THE INHERITANCE OF LOSS. By Kiran Desai (Finished 4/5/07)
SUITE FRANÇAISE. By Irène Némirovsky
A WOMAN IN JERUSALEM. By A. B. Yehoshua

Non-fiction:
THE COURTIER AND THE HERETIC: Leibniz, Spinoza, and the Fate of God in the Modern World. By Matthew Stewart
EAT, PRAY, LOVE: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia. By Elizabeth Gilbert
IRAN AWAKENING: A Memoir of Revolution and Hope. By Shirin Ebadi with Azadeh Moaveni
MAYFLOWER: A Story of Courage, Community, and War. By Nathaniel Philbrick
READING LIKE A WRITER: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them. By Francine Prose

I apologize for all the CAPS,. I was cutting and pasting from the NYT website, and that's how they've got it there.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Alisia!! Looks like we have some books in common. Will be a fun challenge!

kookie said...

Welcome to the challenge. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.