Monday, March 26, 2007

March 2007 Update from Wendy

3/26/2007: Finished my last NYT Notable for this month!

3/25/2007 Update:

Who has read Black Swan Green? I am really engaged in this novel. The first 20-25 pages were a little difficult because of the British slang (most of which I'd never heard of and found myself laughing at), but then I got immersed in the narration and hardly noticed it anymore. I'm half way through the book and it is taking me down memory lane as to what it was like to be a kid and growing up in a small town. Fabulous story; brilliant writing!

3/23/2007 Update:

Finished The Translator...on to Black Swan Green!

3/21/2007 Update:

I finished To Kill A Mockingbird today. WOW! Loved it. Its reviewed on my blog. Now I'm ready to begin The Translator...which may pale in comparison.

3/16/2007 Update:

I just finished The Inheritance of Loss today. I can't believe how long it took me to read this book! It was beautifully written...but hard for me because of my ignorance of Indian politics. Anyway I will post a review soon as soon as I figure out what I want to say. Next on my reading list is To Kill a Mockingbird...then I'm going to read The Translator.

3/11/2007 Update:


I am about 50 pages into Inheritance of Loss. I was a little worried about this book because I have read some "fair" reviews of it. But, I'm finding that I'm enjoying Desai's lyrical writing. She has a tremendous sense of place and a beautiful way with words. I'm relishing the beauty of her language...will keep you posted *smile*.

Previous update from 3/4/2007:
Okay, I spent a little time today perusing my reading groups and challenges and figuring out what I need to read and when. I've set myself a very challenging reading month in March and revamped my plans for this challenge. If I'm going to hit 20 books in 2007, I need to be a bit more aggressive! So, in March I am planning on reading the following NYT Most Notables:

Inheritance of Loss (finished March 16, 2007)
Beasts of No Nation (finished March 5, 2007 - see my review posted on this site)
The Translator (finished March 23, 2007)
Black Swan Green (finished March 26, 2007)

This will put me ahead of my pace for the year :)

14 comments:

Kim said...

Being ahead is a good thing :0) I am still reading "The Emperor's Children" but I picked up the following at the library this weekend:

The Uses of Enchantment by Heidi Julavits
Golden Country by Jennifer Gilmore
Lisey's Story by Stephen King

I also put "The Road" on hold...

Happy reading!

kookie said...

Very challenging, Wendy. Good thing "Beasts" isn't very long.

Wendy said...

That's what I was thinking, Michelle *big smile* And also I've heard the Black Swan Green is a fast read, too.

Kim, I am definitely planning on reading The Road. One of my reading groups is currently voting on book reads, and The Road is one of the ones I hope wins :) I'm waiting to see if it wins, and then when it will be scheduled for a group read before I decide where I'm putting it on my list of TBR!

kookie said...

I don't think 'Black Swan Green' will give you any trouble, Wendy. I got through it pretty quick. The only tricky part is some of the English slang (from England), being American sometimes I'm a little slow to pick up on exactly what he means on occasion.

Lisa said...

I'm going to try to read "Beasts" this month too! Look forward to discussing it with you!!

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like a good plan, Wendy. I broke down and ordered a copy The Road (like I need more books!) this weekend. I picked up a copy of Blindness by Jose Saramago (not a NYT book) because it for some reason sparked my interest this weekend. Might be a good book to read along with The Road. Hmmm. Choices, choices.

Wendy said...

Great minds think alike, WendyCat! I just ordered The Road today as well!!

kookie said...

Are you reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' for the first time, Wendy? If you are, what a treat you have in store for you. It's a shame you can only read a great book for the first time once in your life. I love the thrill of discovery.

Wendy said...

Yup, Kookie...first time for this book (I'm ashamed to admit that actually!). This seems to be on the top of most people's list of best books of all time so I'm excited to read it. And it will fulfill my one book I committed to read for the Banned Books Challenge too :)

kookie said...

You are going to love it, Wendy. Don't be surprised if lots of other books don't measure up afterwards. They will pale in comparison. Enjoy!

nessie said...

I much prefered a FINE BALANCE to Inheritance of Loss. Give it a try. Rohington Mistry is considered to be a god here in the great north

Wendy said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Nessie! *scribbles down information and stashes with the rest of her reading wish list*

kookie said...

I read 'Black Swan Green' and you are right about the English terms being tricky, but I thought it was a great story and I look forward to reading your review. It's been quite some time since I read it, so I don't remember all the details. I'm sure your review will bring it back for me.

Laura said...

I loved Black Swan Green! I could really identify with the characters, and liked the point of view -- the world as viewed through a child's eyes.