Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Yikes...Kim's Non-Review of The Emperor's Children

So, after 10 days and only 160 pages, I am officially giving up on "The Emperor's Children". I hate to do this, but I could not get into this book at all. The characters were all pompous, self-centered and immature and the plot dragged on and on for me. And with so many other great books waiting for me, I decided to throw in the towel. Maybe someone else will have better luck. I will be interested to see who else reads this one and who may have a different opinion of it than I do. Anyway, I am off to start "The Road" tonight! I have a feeling this one will be much better :0) Happy Reading!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

I posted a comment on your blog too! I'm bummed you hated this because I already bought the darn thing! Anyone else reading this or have read this one?

Kim said...

Wendy,
I say go ahead and read it...you might end up loving it :0) I will keep a look out to see what you think when you get around to it!

kookie said...

I've heard nothing but bad things about this book...I can't wait to read it for myself!

Wait until someone else tries 'Special Topics in Calamity Physics' or 'Only Revolutions'. (Two books that I gave up on in the early going.) There will be plenty of griping about those, believe me.

Why books like these made the list is quite beyond me.

In any case, I'm glad you made a go of it. I'm going to give it a try and see if I agree with you (I'm betting I will.)

Wendy said...

Michelle...I am cringing; not only do I have THIS book, but I also have Only Revolutions. LOL! I'll try them both; and if we all agree we can take some shots at the stupid people who put them on the list!

kookie said...

Wendy, that's a deal! Who knows, you might like 'Only Revolutions'. I couldn't get past the first page! Just wasn't in the cards for me.

Ms. Jaroch said...

I enjoyed EC for what it was: a tale about self-aggrandizing New Yorkers who destroy each other's lives in various ways. I have to be in the right mood to read a novel set in NYC, though--sometimes I get irritated by the solipsistic undertones, like in Julia Glass' newer one and Quindlen's new one, too. I also loved 'Calamity Physics'.. it was so entertaining and adventurous, and made me think twice about everything that happened. I highly recommend it (read it in conjunction with "The Keep" and it will really blow you away!!